Marc Stout of ROOT SPORTS ROCKY MOUNTAIN is beginning his sixth season as a Rockies TV anchor/reporter and is Billy-Ball.com’s go-to guy for Rockies news. Not surprisingly, our conversation has been about the amazing 49-year old Jaime Moyer who starts on 4/7 against the Houston Astros at Minute Maid Park.
Here are some nuggets Marc and I have gathered for you about Moyer and the Astros:
- Lifetime against the Astros, Moyer is 5-4 with a 3.97 ERA.
- Moyer’s first appearance against the Astros was in the Astrodome, during his 1986 rookie season with the Cubs on 8/27/86. Moyer was the losing pitcher in that 7-1 game. Houston’s starter and winner was Nolan Ryan.
- Moyer has faced the Astros 15 times and started 12 of those games. He made five appearances in the Astrodome where he was 2-2 with a 3.24 ERA.
- Moyer’s second start in the Dome was on 5/16/87. The winning pitcher in that 2-1 game was Moyer, the loser was Nolan Ryan. Moyer defeated the Astros in the Dome once again on Sept. 1, 1987.
- Moyer face the Astros next on May 13, 1988. Moyer took the loss and the winner? Nolan Ryan. Ryan pitched a complete game, allowing two runs on seven hits while striking out 11. He was kid at 41.
- The Astrodome closed in 1999 and at that time Moyer’s record was 188-101. Since that time Moyer has gone 149-103.
Here’s Nine to Know about #49:
- Seventeen batters have hit 49 homers in a season. Harmon Killebrew and Lou Gehrig are the only two batters to end the season with 49 homers twice.
- Seventeen batters have hit 49 doubles in a season. Jaime Moyer‘s teammate Todd Helton is the only batter to end the season with 49 doubles twice.
- Twenty players have stolen 20 bases in a season. Joe Morgan is the only player to end the season with 49 steals twice.
- Two pitchers started 49 games in a season: Wilbur Wood and Ed Walsh.
- Nineteen pitchers have 49 career wins including Chris Young and Daisuke Matsuzaka.
- Twenty five pitchers have 49 career losses including Ubaldo Jimenez and Jorge De La Rosa.
- Four pitchers tossed 49 shutouts: Don Drysdale, Luis Tiant, Fergie Jenkins, and Early Wynn.
- Two pitchers recorded 49 saves in a season and both pitched on Opening Day 2012: Francisco Cordero and Jose Valverde.
- From 1986-88, Jaime Moyer wore #49 for the Chicago Cubs and in his 1986 rookie year Moyer allowed 49 earned runs.