While you never want to make the first or third out at third base, that statement is magnified when it comes to home plate.
Here’s what happened:
- In the top of the 2nd, Prince Fielder led off being hit by a pitch.
- Delmon Young followed with a double that rattled around the left field corner.
- Lamont waved the enormous Fielder home.
- In the seemingly long run to the plate, my heart stops twice as I think about a Prince Fielder/Buster Posey collision.
- Left fielder Gregor Blanco corrals the ball and throws to the infield.
- Blanco overthrows the cutoff man, shortstop Brandon Crawford, but in Jeter-like fashion Marco Scutaro is there to catch the ball and he fires a strike to Posey.
- Protecting himself, Posey fields the throw in front of the plate leaving an opening for the ginormous Fielder to slide in ahead of the tag. If only the on-deck batter Jhonny Peralta had guided Fielder to take a wide slide.
- Peralta didn’t do that and home plate umpire Dan Iassogna makes the absolutely correct call, as Posey makes the sweep tag. The first 7-4-2 putout in baseball history is recorded.
- Peralta then pops to the infield and Avisail Garcia whiffs to end the inning and keeps the game scoreless.