- Thinking about Hall of Famer Turkey Stearnes.
- Do you prefer chicken, such as Fred Stanley (aka; “Chicken”)?
- Sweet potato-wise you can choose between Yam Yaryan from the 1920′s or currently Yamaico Navarro.
- How about some pi(e)? – NL MVP Buster Posey has a lifetime .314 average, so did Bibb Falk and Cecil Travis, Xavier Paul and Jhonatan Solano who each hit .314 in 2012.
- Of course there’s Hall of Famer Pie Traynor or never HOF-er Felix Pie.
- What kind of pie do you want? Apple (as in Myron Apple)? or berry as in Ken Berry?
- There’s no pecan, but you can snack with Peanuts Lowrey.
- And eat some Cookie Lavagetto or Cookie Rojas.
- And then slosh down the whole meal with some Bobby Wine.
More importantly, Major League Baseball is helping about 5,000 homeless people and families in Compton, Calif., have a Thanksgiving dinner by donating $10,000 to the Mozel Sanders Foundation, which puts on the annual Mozel Sanders Thanksgiving Dinner West Coast. The meal will be served by participants of the MLB Urban Youth Academy in Compton, and will be held at Compton Community College on Thanksgiving Day, Nov. 22.
As reported by MLB.com, “Major League Baseball is a social institution with important social responsibilities, but perhaps most importantly, we are members of communities that sustain our clubs, facilities and initiatives,” said Frank Robinson, MLB’s executive vice president of baseball development. “The Compton community has been tremendously supportive of our efforts at the MLB Urban Youth Academy to provide local youth with opportunities on and off the field, so we are pleased to give back to those in this area who are in need during this holiday season.”
Thank you to all my readers who make writing baseball a labor of love.Support Billy-Ball.com and the Bill Chuck Files