Mike Licht, Senior Frank Lane Correspondent for Billy-Ball.com, brought this article from MentalFloss.com to our attention.
Danny Groner did a great job compiling this article.
Here are your Nine to Know highlights:
1. Yankees and Orioles, November 18, 1954: 18 players
- Baltimore sent Bob Turley, Don Larsen and Billy Hunter to
- New York for Harry Byrd, Jim McDonald, Hal Smith, Gus Triandos, Gene Woodling and Willy Miranda.
The deal was completed on December 1 when
- Baltimore traded Dick Kryhoski, Mike Blyzka, Darrell Johnson and Jim Fridley to
- New York for Bill Miller, Kal Segrist, Don Leppert, Theodore Del Guercio, and a player to be named later (which apparently never occurred).
2. A’s and Tigers, November 20,1957: 13 players
- The Kansas City Athletics traded Billy Martin, Gus Zernial, Tom Morgan, Lou Skizas, Mickey McDermott and Tim Thompson to
- The Tigers who sent Bill Tuttle, Jim Small, Duke Maas, John Tsitouris, Frank House, Kent Hadley and Jim McManus to KC.
3. A’s and Yankees, February 19, 1957: 12 players
- Kansas City traded Art Ditmar, Bobby Shantz, Jack McMahan, Wayne Belardi and two players to be named later to
- The New York Yankees for Billy Hunter, Rip Coleman, Tom Morgan, Mickey McDermott, Milt Graff and Irv Noren.
- Curt Roberts went to Kansas City and Clete Boyer was sent to New York in the spring to complete the deal.
4. Astros and Padres, December 28, 1994: 12 players
- The Astros traded Ken Caminiti, Steve Finley, Andujar Cedeno, Roberto Petagine, Brian Williams and a player to be named later to
- The San Diego Padres for Phil Plantier, Derek Bell, Pedro Martinez, Doug Brocail, Craig Shipley and Ricky Guttierrez.
5. Mets, Mariners and Indians, December 11, 2008: 12 players
- The Mets sent Aaron Heilman, Endy Chavez, Jason Vargas, and three minor leaguers (Maikel Cleto, Mike Carp, Ezequiel Carrera) to
- The Mariners who sent New York J.J. Putz and Sean Green and Jeremy Reed.
- The Indians sent Franklin Gutierrez to the Mariners for the Mets’ Joe Smith and the Mariners’ Luis Valbuena.
6. A’s and Yankees, December 16, 1953: 11 players
- New York shipped Jim Finigan, Don Bollweg, Johnny Gray, Jim Robertson, Vic Power and Bill Renna to
- The Philadelphia Athletics for Harry Byrd, Eddie Robinson, Tom Hamilton, Carmen Mauro and Loren Babe.
7. Padres and Cardinals, December 8, 1980: 11 players
- The Padres traded Rollie Fingers, Bob Shirley, Gene Tenace and Bob Geren to
- The St. Louis Cardinals for Terry Kennedy, Steve Swisher, Mike Phillips, John Littlefield, John Urrea, Kim Seaman and Al Olmsted.
Four days later, Fingers went to Milwaukee in a seven-player deal.
8. Mariners and Rangers, December 12, 1980: 11 players
- Seattle sent Rick Honeycutt, Mario Mendoza, Larry Cox, Leon Roberts and Willie Horton to
- Texas for Richie Zisk, Rick Auerbach, Ken Clay, Jerry Gleaton, Brian Allard and Steve Finch.