Bill Chuck’s Nine to Know: Willingham, AGon, Holliday, Gregerson, Arroyo, Ellsbury and more
- Josh Willingham is hitting .219 with 10 homers, while Adrian Gonzalez is hitting .298 also with 10 homers, yet they both have a .352 OBP.
- Matt Holliday has grounded into 20 DPs this season, six with two runners on base and five with runners on first and third.
- The Mariners bullpen lead the majors with 255 strikeouts, the Rays pen has 253, the Pirates bullpen has 252.
- The Indians have had a .500 record at 2-2, 3-3, 5-5, 13-13, 14-14, 30-30, 33-33, 34-34, and 35-35.
- In games following their team’s win, Trevor Cahill, Bronson Arroyo, Ryan Dempster, Cole Hamels, Dan Haren, and Joe Saunders all have six losses.
- For those you who don’t buy into the difference between the 8th inning or the 9th inning for a reliever, just check Luke Gregerson who in the 8th inning is holding batters to a .106 avg, but in the 9th inning batters are hitting him at a .378 pace.
- The Central divisions have the best ERA in each league. The NL Central teams have a 3.62 ERA and the AL Central division teams have a 3.91 ERA.
- Over the last 35 seasons, only six Red Sox have had double figures in triples led by Jim Rice’s 15 in 1978; Jacoby Ellsbury has seven this season.
- The Red Sox pitchers have thrown the most strikes with 7630 and most balls at 4459 in the majors.