THE BILL CHUCK FRIDAY NINE TO KNOW
- Last night in LA, Zack Greinke entered the game 5-0 at home. He faced Mat Latos who was 0-5 at Dodger Stadium. So, of course you know what happened. The Reds downed the Dodgers, 5-2. For the season, Latos is now 10-3 and Greinke is 8-3.
- Shin-Soo Choo picked up a throwing error in the game against the Dodgers, for the first error by a Reds’ outfielder since April 28. It was the fourth error of the season by Cincy’s outfield, three by Choo. The Reds outfielders lead the NL with a .994 fielding percentage but the Orioles outfielders have committed just two errors and lead the majors with a .997 fielding pct. Josh Hamilton and Giancarlo Stanton lead all outfielders with eight errors each.
- In yesterday’s Washington win over Pittsburgh, Bucs manager Clint Hurdle was ejected by first base umpire Laz Diaz and Nationals manager Davey Johnson was ejected by home plate umpire Mike Winters. Which brings to mind Tuesday’s action in Arizona when Cubs manager Dale Sveum was ejected by plate umpire Dana DeMuth and that same night back in Chicago manager White Sox Robin Ventura was ejected by first base umpire Gary Darling. Two Chicago managers ejected on the same night at worst has to a tie a record, don’t you think?
- In the brilliantly Hiroki Kuroda pitched 2-0 Yankee win over Texas, Mariano Rivera earned his 33rd save of the season to give him 641 in career. It was Rivera’s 40th career save against Texas making them the sixth and final team that Mo will have 40 saves against. He has 76 against the Orioles, 63 against the Rays, 57 against Boston, 52 against the Blue Jays, and 41 against the White Sox.
- Mark Buehrle of the Blue Jays shut out Houston yesterday. It was his ninth career shutout and his first since he tossed one for the White Sox, four years and two days before, July 23, 2009 against Tampa Bay. Last night against Houston he allowed two hits and two walks. His game against Tampa was perfect.
- So far this season, home team pitchers have won 824 games and have an ERA of 3.78, away team pitchers have won 693 games and have an ERA of 4.04. However, home team pitchers have allowed 1506 home runs compared to 1479 away pitchers. But before you get too excited, home team pitchers have pitched 771 more innings, so just relax.
- There have been 1801 homers allowed with the bases empty this season. Of the 20 homers Ryan Dempster has allowed this season, 18 are one-run gophers, the most in the majors. The other two were two-run homers.
- Getting off on the right foot: No team has scored more 1st inning runs than the Red Sox with 68, Baltimore and Colorado are next at 67, then Cleveland with 66.
- Brandon Phillips leads the majors with 44 RBI with a runner on third and less than two outs. Dustin Pedroia and Mike Napoli are next with 27 RBI each. Mark Reynolds leads with 10 whiffs.