From the Bill Chuck July HR Files…
Nine to Know
- The AL hit 380 homers, the NL hit 312.
- The Tigers led the majors with 37 homers.
- The Giants and the Cardinals hit nine each, the fewest in the bigs.
- The Yankees hit 10 homers, the fewest in the AL. It was the Yanks fewest July homers since they hit eight in 1919.
- Adrian Beltre and Alfonso Soriano led the majors with nine July homers each.
- American League pitchers allowed 377 homers, NL pitchers offered up 315 gophers.
- No team allowed more homers than Toronto, who permitted 37, followed by Houston who allowed 33.
- Marlins pitchers only gave up 11 homers in July. The Indians and Dodgers pitchers gave up just 14.
- A.J. Griffin allowed 11 homers, the most in the majors. He was followed by Josh Johnson and Cliff Lee who allowed eight each.