It was quite a night for the Red Sox last night as they defeated the Hapless Astros, 15-10.
Nine to Know
- The Sox trailed 5-0 after two innings.
- Knuckleballer Steven Wright lasted just one inning in his first major league start.
- Wright’s catcher, Ryan Lavarnway, tied a major league record with four passed balls in the 1st inning. Two other knuckleball chasing catchers also have had the joy of four passed balls: Texas Rangers’ Geno Petralli on Aug. 22, 1987 (Charlie Hough on the mound) and the New York Giants’ Ray Katt on Sept. 10, 1954 (Hoyt Wilhelm on the mound).
- Jacoby Ellsbury homered twice.
- Boston’s leadoff through clean-up batters in the line-up (Ellsbury, Shane Victorino, Dustin Pedroia, David Ortiz who is 13-for-22 against the Astros this season, .591) went 11-for-18 with 11 runs scored and seven RBI.
- Jonny Gomes had a three-run, pinch-hit homer, his fourth pinch-homer of the season. Gomes is 6-for-16 off the bench and has seven RBI. Joe Cronin holds the Boston record with five pinch-homers in 1943.
- Brandon Workman (2-1) pitched 4.2 innings in relief for Boston and allowed nine hits and six runs and got the win.
- Rubby De La Rosa made his Red Sox debut in a 1-2-3 9th with two whiffs.
- The 69-46 Red Sox equaled their win total from last season.
For the 20th time in his career and the third time in the last month, Ortiz tied his career high with four hits.
|10||2007-08-24 (2)||BOS||CHW||W 10-1||5||5||3||4||0||0||2||3||0||0||0|
Ortiz has 21 homers this season
- He has hit at least 20 homers for 12 straight seasons.
- He is the only player to have 20 homers every season since 2002 – Alfonso Soriano, Adam Dunn, and Albert Pujols each have 11 seasons with 20.
- Ortiz has had 11 20 home run seasons with Boston, which is tied for second-most in club history behind Ted Williams who had 16.
Ortiz has two triples this season
- Last season, he had none.
- He’s tripled in 13 of the last 14 seasons
Players who have tripled in the most seasons since 2000
Ortiz has four stolen bases this season, the most in his career
Only four players have at least two triples, four stolen bases, and 20 homers this season
The Rejuvenation of David Ortiz
Big Papi’s batting average has risen each of the last four seasons