With 43 days until Opening Day 2016, we remember that on February 21, 1974, Tom Seaver became the highest-paid pitcher in baseball history when he signed a contract for $172,000 per season with the New York Mets
Nine to Know: From the Bill Chuck Files of February 21, 2016
- Josh Hamilton, Victor Martinez, and Ryan Zimmerman all enter the 2016 season with exactly 200 career homers.
- No team lost more games to players on the 15-day Disabled List last season than the Cubs with 674, while no team lost more games to players on the 7-day DL than the Red Sox with 23.*
- Check out the WHIP of the Indians starters last season against lefties: Corey Kluber (1.275 WHIP), Carlos Carrasco (1.060 WHIP), Danny Salazar (1.102 WHIP), Trevor Bauer (1.374 WHIP), and Cody Anderson (1.195 WHIP). All five are righties and should be in the Tribe’s 2016 rotation.
- In Mike Napoli’s last 994 PA he has struck out 259 times; in Victor Martinez’ last 2927 PA, he has also struck out 259 times.*
- Last season, no reliever had more scoreless appearances (in which they threw at least one inning) than Mark Melancon (63), followed by Tony Watson (61), Wade Davis and Dellin Betances (60 each).
- In his three-year career with the Cubs, Luis Valbuena hit 32 HR (15 off fastballs) in 1241 PA; last season with the Astros, Valbuena had 25 HR (15 off fastballs) in just 493 PA.
- Over the last three seasons, Alicides Escobar has had at least one PA in 360 games in which he did not have an RBI, the most in the majors.
- Over the last four seasons, the still-free-agent Pedro Alvarez hit 111 homers, the 11th most in the majors.
- Who will platoon at first with Adam Lind in Seattle? Lifetime, Lind has a .293 BA and .863 OPS against righties but just a .213 BA and .586 OPS against lefties.